[The Secret to Passing Prop Trading] 3 Rules of Thumb to Save Your Account and Stay Alive

 

Hey guys! This is WBT from the Chartinfo team.

Lately, I’ve been running some prop trading challenges and experienced both painful blown accounts and super exciting payouts. A lot of people get hyper-focused on fancy technical analysis and finding the perfect entry just to pass those strict prop firm rules, but what I learned the hard way about the real 'key to passing' was something totally different.

Today, based on a deep dive into my own painful losses and wins, I want to share the 3 rules of thumb you absolutely need to follow to stay alive in prop trading.

#Rule 1. The Ultimate Survival Rule: The 2% Rule and Mechanical Risk Management

If I had to pick just one most important rule in prop trading, it’s hands down 'risk management'. If you can’t protect your account from the prop firm’s strict daily loss limits and maximum drawdowns, it doesn't matter how great your entries are—you will end up failing.

Here is exactly how I manage my risk in live trading.

First is the '2% Rule'. No matter what trade I take, I adjust my position size so that the maximum loss on a single trade never goes over 2% of my total account balance. This is a powerful shield that keeps you from getting wiped out of the market, making sure that even if you lose 10 times in a row, 80% of your account stays alive.

Second is using the ATR (Average True Range) indicator for mechanical stop-losses (SL). A lot of beginner traders set their stop-losses based on 'gut feeling' or just some random percentage. But I set my stop-loss based on the ATR value, which shows the actual volatility of the market. This is to make sure I don't get shaken out by market noise (whipsaws) but can still mechanically cut the trade when the trend reverses. Avoiding a fatal blow when you are wrong is way more important than guessing the right direction.



#Rule 2. The Art of Waiting: Confluence Trading

Jumping into the market based on just one indicator or a weak reason is no different from gambling. To make a successful trade, you need to wait until multiple technical reasons—like support/resistance, necklines, channels, and Fibonacci retracements—all line up perfectly in the same spot (Confluence Zone).

Like I showed you in my last Bitcoin short trading journal at $82,000, your win rate shoots way up when the top of an ascending channel, a long-term trendline, and a bottom signal on Tether dominance all overlap in the exact same spot. If a high-probability setup doesn't show up, staying flat and sitting on your hands is also great trading.

#Rule 3. Mind Control: Watching Out for Counter-Trend Trading and Revenge Trading

In my previous trading journal, I shared a painful mistake where I kept insisting on long positions even during a clear downtrend, which ended up blowing my prop account. No matter how well you follow the 2% rule and find confluence, if your psychology breaks down, everything goes down the drain.

Our biggest enemy isn't the chart—it’s inside our own minds. Making subjective assumptions like "It dropped this much, so it's gotta go up," and the 'payback mentality' where you force entries just to quickly make back your losses, leads straight to fatal revenge trading. You have to look at the market purely objectively, and emotional counter-trend trading is an absolute no-go.

#Toward Becoming a Trader Who Doesn't Lose

A successful prop trader isn't someone who never takes a loss. It's someone who transparently reviews their own painful mistakes and sticks to mechanical risk management rules until the very end, leaving all emotions out of it.

The market is highly volatile, but I hope you use these 3 rules of thumb as your weapon and crush your prop trading journey!

Stop Leaving Money on the Table – Get 90% rebate

Chartinfo - CFD Rebate provider

Every trade you make without a rebate is a missed profit. Chartinfo is a trusted CFD rebate provider dedicated to maximizing your returns through seamless cashback solutions. Click here to visit our website and start earning today!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Get a 90% Forex Rebate (Save Thousands on Trading Fees Legally)

[CHARTINFO] Top 5 Verified Brokers & 90% Rebate

Understanding Brokers: Why You Need One and the Pros & Cons