[Trading Journal] Bitcoin Short Position Review: The Textbook Example of Confluence Trading and Profit Taking
Hi! This is WBT from the Chartinfo team.
In my last Nasdaq trading journal, I reviewed a painful stop-loss caused by a subjective counter-trend trade. This time, learning from that mistake, I’ll review a Bitcoin (BTC) short position from May 6, 2026, where I successfully made a profit based on strictly objective "confluence."
Precise Entry: Reasons for the $82,285 Short Position
The key to this trade was finding a strong Confluence Zone where multiple technical indicators overlapped. Here are the three main reasons why I entered a short position at $82,285.
Resistance at the top of the ascending channel Although Bitcoin broke through the $80,000 line with strong momentum, I was confident it would be difficult to overshoot past the top of the channel in one go. The upper resistance line of the channel I drew pointed exactly to $82,285.38.
Long-term trendline resistance connecting previous highs Beyond just the channel, a descending trendline connecting the major swing highs of April 17 and April 22 was also acting as resistance in this area.
Oversold signal on Tether Dominance (USDT.D) When the price broke $82,000, Tether Dominance dropped to around 7%. This indicated a short-term "bottom" where stablecoins were depleted in the market as funds rushed into Bitcoin. I anticipated that smart money and market participants would soon start taking profits on BTC, causing Tether Dominance to bounce back.
Limitations of Prop Capital and Perfect Take Profit at $79,790.52
Even though it was a perfect short entry backed by several reasons, there was one regret.
Since my current prop trading account's initial capital was limited to $500, I could only enter with the minimum size of 0.01 lot. Because the position size was small, I couldn't use partial closures to follow the trend. Therefore, as a matter of risk management, I closed the entire position when it reached $79,790.52—the Fibonacci 0.382 retracement level of the previous move—securing a profit of $24.95.
Lessons Learned and Account Growth
With the $24.95 profit from this trade, I completely recovered the painful Nasdaq loss from my previous session. As a result, my prop account balance is now trending upward at $514.29.
The biggest takeaway was reaffirming the importance of patience—waiting for those "overlapping confluence spots" rather than blindly trusting a single indicator. Although I missed out on more profit due to the small capital size preventing partial exits, it was an excellent trade that stuck to the rules.
The Chartinfo team will continue to respond to the market with objective and sharp chart analysis, leaving emotions aside. If you want successful trading, feel free to join us anytime!
Stop Leaving Money on the Table – Get 90% rebate
Chartinfo - CFD Rebate provider
Every trade you make without a rebate is a missed profit. Chartinfo is a trusted CFD rebate provider dedicated to maximizing your returns through seamless cashback solutions. Click here to visit our website and start earning today!
Comments
Post a Comment